|Alejandro Kirk belted a 3-run HR in a 9-3 win over the Tigers|
After a lengthy road trip that went through Missouri and California, the Blue Jays returned home to their newly renovated stadium. Their opponent will be the team geographically closest to them, the Detroit Tigers. The Blue Jays won the season series last year 5-2, outscoring the Tigers 33-15, Alek Manoah got the start with Alejandro Kirk behind the plate. George Springer was back in the field after DH'ing on Sunday. Cavan Biggio was at 2B. Could the blue jays extend the winner streak 2 games and win the home? Opener question? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Tigers opened the scoring in the top of the 2nd as Nick Maton bashed a 3-run blast to right; Also scoring Javier Baez and Spencer Torkelson
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom half the inning as Alejandro Is kirk single scoring Daulton Varsho
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom of the 4th as Matt Chapman thrilled the Blue Jays first home run in their revamped stadium to straightway center
- Alek Manoah pitching line: 4.1IP 4H 3R (all earned) 5BB 3K 94 pitches (53 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 5th as Kevin Kiermaier crushed a solo blast to write and into the Tigers bullpen. It was his first home run in a Blue Jays uniform.
- A batter later, George Springer smashed a solo blast to left-center
- Matt Manning pitching line: 6IP 6H 4R (all earned) 1BB 3K 85 pitches (58 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the eighth as Bo Bichette whacked a solo blast to the opposite field in right-center
- Four batters later, brandon belt single scoring Daulton Varsho
- A battery later, Kirk hammered a three run bomb to the second deck in left; also scoring Jordan Luplow and Chapman.
- Final score: Blue Jays 9 Tigers 3
- Alek Manoah battled through 4.1 innings giving up three runs on four hits while walking five and striking out three.. It is the second start in three starts this season where Manoah has struggled. It's also the second start where there was added pressure. He also pitched the season opener and tonight was the home opener. The concerning stat has to be the five walks. I believe that the umpires are starting to get wise to Alejandro Kirk trying to bring pitches back into the strike zone by dramatically moving his glove. Manoah had a rough third inning this game where he gave up all three runs on a three run shot, which ended up being the first home run hit in the newly renovated Roger's Centre. Manoah's next start will not be any easier as he will be up against the hottest team in baseball, the Tampa Bay Rays
- The bullpen did a stellar job tonight, holding the tigers to a hit and a walk over the final 4.2 innings while striking out 6.
- Offensively, the Blue Jays big bats were alive with five home runs accounting for seven of the nine runs. Player of the week Matt Chapman started things off with a solo shot in the 4th ending and later scored on Kirk's three run shot to cap off the scoring
- There were a couple of notable firsts in a Blue Jays uniform. Kiermaier hit his first home run in a Blue Jays uniform and brandon belt drove in his first run as a Blue Jay
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to extend the win streak to three games. Kevin Gausman starts against Tigers lefty Ed Rodriguez.