|Matt Chapman was 3-5 with 5RBI and 2 runs scored. including a grand slam in a 12-11 come-from behind win over the Angels
After a tough loss, the Blue Jays wrapped up the series and road trip with a matinee in Anaheim Yusei Kikuchi got the start with Danmy Jansen behind the plate. George Springer got the half day off as DH with Whit Merrifield in RF. Kevin Kiermaier was in CF and Daulton Varsho was in LF. Could the Blue Jays end the road trip with a win? Here is today's game recap.
- The Angels opened the scoring in thebottom of the 1st as Anthony Rendon singled scoring Shohei Ohtani
- A batter later, Hunter Renfroe hammered a 2-run bomb to left; also scoring Rendon
- The Angels added a pair of runs in the bottom of the 3rd as Ohtani drilled a 2-run bomb to straightaway center; also scoring Mike Trout
- The Angels added a run in the bottom of the 4th as Logan O'Hoppe smcked a solo blast to left-center
- Yusei Kikuchi pitching line: 4.1IP 9H 6R (all earned) 1BB 6K 99 pitches (59 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays got four back in the top of the 6th on a grand slam by Matt Chapman; also scoring George Springer, Bo Bichette and Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
- Five batters later, Kevin Kiermair tripled scoring Daulton Varsho and Whit Merrifield.
- Reid Detmers pitching line: 5IP 5H 5R (4 earned) 2BB 5K 89 pitches (58 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the top of the 7th as Chapman singled scoring Bichette
- Two batters later, Merrifield singled home Guerrero Jr.
- Three batters later, Kiermaier singled home Merrifield and Chapman
- The Angels got one back in the bottom of the 8th as Brandon Drury drilled a solo bomb to dead center
- The Angels got one back in the bottom of the 9th as Gio Urshela was forced in by a bases loaded hit by pitch to Rendon
- A batter later, Renfroe doubled scoring Taylor Ward and Ohtani
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the top of the 10th on a ground rule double by Kiermaier that scored Cavan Biggio
- A batter later, Springer singled home Kiermaier
- The Angels got one back in the bottom half of the inning on a bases loaded walk to Trout that forced in Drury
- Tim Mayza got the final out for his first save of the season
- Final score: Blue Jays 12 Angels 11
- After an encouraging first start of the season, Yusei Kikuchi's second start was a complete disaster. He gave up 6 runs on 8 hits while walking one and striking out 6. Too many balls were left in the middle of the plate. He was down three after the first inning. Is the same fate as last season going to occur, where Kikuchi is relegated to low-leverage situations ou of the bullpen?
- The bullpen had a rough time. Jordan Romano blew his first save of the season, allowing 3 runs on 2 hitsand 2 walks, but he did strike out the side. The game became a save situation because Erik Swanson gave up a solo jack to ex-Blue Jay Brandon Drury. All Trevor Richards had to do was get three outs after the Blue Jays scored 2 runs in tht top of the 10th. Instead. he managed to load the bases on a single - advancing the ghost runner and walk and then walked a second batter to force in a run. Luckily Tim Mayza was able to get Ohtani to ground out to mercifully end the game
- Despite the pitchers trying their darndest to give away the game, the offense was on today. Matt Chapman started things with a grans slam and later drove in a 5th run and scored his second run of the game. Kevin Kiermaier drove in 5 and scored 1.
- Every Blue Jays starter except Danny Jansen and Santiago Espinal scored at least once
- Bo Bichette and Vlad will both be sporting ice packs tonight after getting hit by pitches
- Up next, after an off-day tomorrow, the Blue Jays begin the home portion of their schedule against the Detroit Tigers. The Blue Jays won the season series last year, outscoring the Tigers 33-15. Alek Manoah gets the start against Tigers righty Matt Manning.