After a tough extra innings loss last night, the Blue Jays were back at it, looking for their first home win of the season. George Springer, who's dealing with a low grade quad injury, is likely out for at least the duration of this home stand as the Blue Jays exercise extreme caution with their prize signing of the off-season. The Blue Jays had a bullpen day with David Phelps getting the start. There is a bit of uncertainty in the rotation after Tanner Rourke had a rough start last time out an2nd d Ross Stripling was knocked around last night. TJ Zeuch was expected to eat up the bulk of the innings tonight. Teoscar Hernandez (exposure to COVID-19), Ryan Borucki (side effect to COVID-19 vaccine) and Tyler Chatwood (undisclosed) were put on the 10 day IL. Josh Palacios, Ty Tice, and Joel Payamps were recalled from the alternate training site. Palacios got the start in RF and batted 9th. Charlie Montoyo shuffled the lineup around moving Cavan Biggio to 5th in the lineup. Randal Grichuk, who got the half day off as DH, was batting 2nd. Jonathan Davis got the start in CF and batted 7th. Vladimir Guerrero Jr. was hitting cleanup and played 1B. Alejandro Kirk was behind the plate and batted 8th. Marcus Semien was in his usual leadoff spot and was at 2B. Lourdes Gurriel Jr. batted 5th and was in LF. Could the Blue Jays even the first home stand of the season? Here is tonight's game recap.
- David Phelps pitching line: 1IP 0H 0R 1BB 2K 20 pitches (9 for strikes)
- The Angels opened the scoring in the top of 2nd the as Jared Walsh scored on a fielder's choice hit by David Fletcher. Dexter Fowler was injured on the play.
- A batter later, Shohei Ohtani doubled home Max Stassi, Jose Rojas and Fletcher
- The Angels added a run in the top of the 5th as Ohtani hammered a solo blast to dead center
- Three batters later, Walsh crushed a 2-run bomb to right, also scoring Mike Trout
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom of the 8th on a wild pitch by Chris Rodriguez
- Lourdes Gurriel Jr. left the game due to a reaction to the COVID-19 vaccine
- Final score: Angels 7 Blue Jays 1
- David Phelps did his job, pitching a scoreless 1st inning, walking one and striking out 2. He wasn't super efficient, taking 20 pitches to get through the inning. As expected, TJ Zeuch was next man up, and he had a rough 2nd inning, giving up 4 runs (none earned) on 3 hits and a fielding error by Bichette. In the 3rd inning, Zeuch proceeded to walk the first 2 batters on 9 pitches. In the 5th, he gave up 3 runs on a pair of HR. Would Zeuch have fared better if he had started? Hard to say, but the mentality of coming out of the bullpen is different than starting. Zeuch is a starter and probably should have been first up.
- There has to be a bit of concern surrounding the COVID-19 and the side effects experienced by Ryan Borucki and Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
- The bats were pretty quit tonight, manufacturing a run on a wild pitch. The top 4 in the batting order (Semien, Grichuk, Bichette and Guerreo Jr.) each reached base at least once Everyone else, except Cavan Biggio, who drew 2 walks, were kept off the basepath. .
- Marcus Semien has been the most consistent leadoff hitter in recent memory. He had a pair of hits tonight and scored the only Blue Jays run on a wild pitch
- The Blue Jays were 0-6 with runners in scoring position
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to snap the 4-game losing streak. Angels southpaw Jose Quintana will start against an unknown Blue Jays pitcher