|Davis Schneider scored three times and drove in three runs in an 8-3 win over the Guardians
After another untimely loss, the Blue Jays were looking to snap the 3 game skid and avoid their 17th series loss of the season. Hyun-Jin Ryu got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. Bo Bichette got the half day off as DH with Santiago Espinal at SS. Davis Schneidergot the start at 2B. Daulton Varsho was in CF and Whit Merrifield was in LF. Could the Blue Jays snap the 3-game skid and avoid their 17th series loss of the season? Here is today's game recap.
- The Guardians took the lead in the top of the 1st as Jose Ramirez drilled a solo bomb of the basing of the second deck in left
- The Blue a Jays tied the game in the bottom half of the inning as Bo Bichette singled scoring Whit Merrifield
- Three batters later, Davis Schneider hammered a 2-2-run jack to left-center; also scoring George Springer
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 4th as Matt Chapman singled scoring Schneider
- A batter later, Danny Jansen scored on a sac fly by Santiago Espinal
- Logan Allen pitching line: 4IP 6H 5R (all earned) 1BB 2K 62 pitches (40 for strikes)
- The Guardians got one back in the top of the 5th as Tyler Freeman smacked a solo blast to left and into the Blue Jays bullpen
- The Guardians got one back in the top of the 6th as Ramon Laureano was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded forcing in Kole Calhoun
- Hyun-Jin Ryu pitching line: 5IP 4H 3R (2 earned) 0BB 5K 70 pitches (49 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 7th as Schneider singled home Vladimir Guerrero Jr
- Four batters later, Daulton Varsho singled scoring Springer and Schneider
- Final score: Blue Jays 8 Guardians 3
- Hyun-Jin Ryu battled through 5 innings, giving up 3 runs (2 earned) on 4 his while walking none and striking out 5. Ryu was taken deep twice today, but continues to show great command, which is usual the last thing to come back after Tommy John surgery. No doubt he will get interest from teams in free agency this winter. Should the Blue Jays squeak into the playoffs, Ryu has a strong chance of a likely bullpen role. He could even get a start in the divisional round of the playoffs should the Blue Jays make it that far.
- The bullpen gave up just one hit while striking out 5 in the final 4 innings. Unfortunately the team lost set up man Erik Swanson, who injured his midback throwing a pitch. Tim Mayza did a great job getting a double play to escape the inning. Yimi Garcia also did an excellent job, striking out the side when he inherited a bases loaded jam. Trevor Richards pitched the last two innings. Could the Swanson injury lead to the debut to Chad Green?
- Davis Schneider was the hero today, scoring three times and driving in three runs
- Every Blue Jays starter except Santiago Espinal had at least one hit
- The Blue Jays were 5-11 with runners in scoring position
- In terms of the wild card race, the Red Sox and Mariners won and the Astros and Rangers were leading their games. The Blue Jays will still be out of a playoff spot by the end of the day, but may be chasing a different team for the final WC spot with the Mariners poised to take over the top spot in the AL west division with a Rangers loss. While the Blue Jays are probably too far back of the Orioles for the AL East division title, the Orioles may have lost closer Felix Bautista for a while with the righty suffering some degree of injury to his UCL and a likely Tommy John surgery. At the moment, the Blue Jays are a game back of the Astros and two games back of the Mariners and Rangers. The Red Sox are 2.5 games back of the Blue Jays.
- Up next, the Blue Jays go for their 2nd straight win, 25th series win and 12th season series win. Yusei Kikuchi starts against Guardians righty Noah Syndergaard.