|Brandon Belt hit a solo HR in a losing effort as the Orioles came from behind to defeat the Blue Jays 5-3|
After getting routed last night, the Blue Jays were going for their 24th a series win. Jose Berrios got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. Vlad got the half day off as DH with Brandon Belt at 1B. S Daulton Varsho was in CF and Whit Merrifield was in LF. Cavan Biggio got the start at 2B. Could the Blue Jays end the road trip on a winning note and notch their 24th series win of the season? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the top of the 4th on a fielder's choice hit by Vladimir Guerrero Jr. that scored Whit Merrifield. Brandon Belt was out at 2B.
- A batter later, Bo Bichette scored on a sac fly by George Springer
- The Orioles tied it up in the futon half of the inning as Anthony Santander hammered a 2-run bomb to right; also scoring Adley Rutschmann
- The Orioles took the lead in the bottom of the 5th as Cedric Mullins bashed a 2-run blast to right-center; also scoring Austin Hays
- Four batters later, Gunnar Henderson singled scoring Adam Frazier
- The Blue jays got one back in the top of the 6th as Brandon Belt belted a solo blast to right
- Jose Berrios pitching line: 6IP 9H 5R (all earned) 0BB 4K 79 pitches (61 for strikes)
- Kyle Gibson pitching line: 8IP 6H 3R (all earned) 1BB 8K 95 pitches (61 for strikes)
- Felix Bautista pitched a perfect 9th for his 33rd save of the season.
- Final score: Orioles 5 Blue Jays 3
- Jose Berrios threw 6 innings, giving up 5 runs on 9 his while walking none and striking out 4. He was actually perfect through the first three innings, then it all started coming unraveled as in the next three innings he gave up three five runs on nine hits. Berrios was taken deep twice for 4 runs. It is the first time Berrios has lost to the Orioles.
- The bullpen gave up a hit while striking out two batters over the last 2 innings. It's possible the Blue Jays gain a fresh body in the bullpen to start the weekend set against Cleveland with Chad Green very close to making his season debut.
- Offensively, the Blue Jays rallied for a pair of runs on 3 his and a walk in HR 4th inning and Brandon Belt went yard in the 6th inning. After that, there were a grand total of 2 base runners.
- The Blue Jays were 0-2 with runners in scoring position
- In terms of the wild card race, the idle Mariners gained a half game on the blue Jays and the Red Sox, who routed the Astros are now two games back of the Blue Jays.
- Up next, the Blue Jays head back hometo take on the Guardians. The two teams split the four games in Cleveland a couple of weeks ago with the Blue Jays outscoring the Guardians 8-7. Chris Bassitt starts against Guardians righty Tanner Bibee.