|Cavan Biggio hit a clutch 8th inning 2-run HR in a 3-1 win over the Guardians|
After an epic series sweep over the Red Sox, the Blue Jays were looking to keep rolling as they continued the road trip in Cleveland. Last season, the Indians won 5 of 7 meetings in the season series, outscoring the Blue Jays 37-22. Hyun-Jin Ryu got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. Davis Schneider was in LF and batting leadoff. Daulton Varsho was in CF. Vlad was back in the lineup and at 1B after the complete day off yesterday. George Springer was back in the field in RF after DH'ing yesterday (Brandon Belt served as DH). Cavan Biggio got the start at 2B. Could the Blue Jays make it four straight wins? Here is tonight's game recap.
- Hyun-Jin Ryu pitching line:4IP 0H 0R 1BB 2K 52 pitches (34 for strikes) (left with an injury)
- Gavin Williams pitching line: 7IP 1H 0R 1BB 12K 90 pitches (61 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the top of the 8th as Cavan Biggio hammered a 2-run bomb to dead center; also scoring Daulton Varsho
- The Guardians got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Bo Naylor singled scoring Brayan Rocchio
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 9th as George Springer singled scoring Brandon Belt
- Jordan Hicks pitched a scoreless 9th for his 10th save of the season
- Final score: Blue Jays 3 Guardians 1
- I have no words. In just his second start since returning from Tommy John surgery, Hyun-Jin Ryu left today's game after getting drilled by a line drive in the inside of his right knee. He was absolutely dealing, allowing just a single base runner, a one out walk two batters prior. The Blue Jays are calling it a right knee contusion at the moment, which hopefully stays the same after expected imaging tomorrow.
- The bullpen kept it together - barely. Jay Jackson, Genesis Cabrera and Erik Swanson were near perfect in their combined three innings, allowing just one hit
- Yimi Garcia and Tim Mayza combined to give up three consecutive singles and a run. Jordan Hicks then came in and got himself into a jam of runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. After Kole Calhoun flew out to left, Hicks walked the bases loaded and it took a great catch by Vlad to prevent at least one run from scoring (Vlad barely kept his foot on the bag for the final out)
- Offensively, the Blue Jays could do literally nothing against Guardians starter Galvin Williams who allowed just a first inning double and a walk and hit by pitch to Danny Jansen through seven innings. Unlikely hero Cavan Biggio crushed a 2- run bomb to dead center to give the Blue jays the lead. George Springer provided an extra insurance run with a clutch RBI single in the 9th
- After a hot opening weekend, Davis Schneider was 0-4 tonight. Perhaps a bit premature to make a t-shirt for him?
- The Blue Jays were 1-3 with runners in scoring position.
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to extend the winning streak to 5 games,. Yusei Kikuchi starts against Guardians righty Tanner Bibee