|Vladimir Guerrero Jr. hit a solo HR in a losing effort as the Guardians came from behind to defeat the Blue Jays 5-2
After yet another loss to the Orioles, the Blue Jay's returned home to take on the Guardians. The two teams split the 4 games in Cleveland a couple of days ago with the Blue Jays outscoring the Guardians 7-6. Chris Bassitt got the start with Alejandro Kirk behind the plate. Vlad was back in he field after DH'ing yesterday (Brandon Belt served as DH tonight). Kevin Kiermaier was in CF and Daulton Varsho was in LF. Whit Merrifield got the start at 2B. Could the Blue Jays snap the 2- game skid? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the bottom of the 2nd as George Springer whacked a solo blast to the opposite field in right-center and into the Guardians bullpen
- The Guardians tiedit up in the top of the 3rd as Bo Naylor smacked a solo jack to right and into the Guardians bullpen
- The Guardians took the lead in the top of the 4th as Ramon Laureano hammered a 2-run bomb to dead center; also scoring Oscar Gonzalez.
- The Guardians added a run in the top of the 6th as Laureano doubled scoring Gonzalez
- Chris Bassitt pitching line: 5.2IP 7H 4R (all earned) 2BB 5K 100 pitches (67 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Vladimir Guerrero Jr. clobbered a solo bomb to left-center. It is just his 6th home home run of the season. Apparently the renovations have not benefited Vlad
- Tanner Bibee pitching line: 6IP 6H 2R (both earned) 1BB 5K 97 pitches. (64 for strikes)
- The Guardians added a run in the top of the 8th as Andre Gimenez hammered a solo bomb to right
- Emmanuel Clase pitched a scoreless 9th for his 34th save of the season
- Final score: Guardians 5 Blue Jays 2
- Chris Bassitt battled through 5.2 innings, giving up 4 runs on 7 hits while walking 2 and striking out 5. The Guardians took him deep twice for three runs. Bassitt retired the first 7 batters he faced before Bo Naylor took him yard. He got a bit fortunate that Steven Kwan missed the plate when he slid him. Not bassitt's best outing in a Blue Jays uniform.
- The bullpen gave up a run on a hit (Jordan Hicks gave up a home run in the 8th inning), while walking none and striking out 4 over the last 3.1 innings
- The offense today was solo home runs from George Springer and Vlad.
- The Blue jays were 0-4 with runners in scoring position. In terms of the wild card race, the Astros and Red Sox lost while the Mariners were just starting their game against the Royals. If they win, they will be two games ahead of the Blue Jays for the final wild card spot.
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to snap the 3 game skid and avoid their 16th series loss of the season. Hyun-Jin Ryu starts against Guardians lefty Logan Allen.