|Yusei Kikuchi threw seven strong innings in a 1-0 shutout loss to the Guardians|
After eking out a win yesterday, the Blue Jays were looking to extend the win streak to 5 games. Kevin Kiermaier was placed on the 10-day IL (retroactive to yesterday) with an elbow laceration. Nathan Lukes was recalled to take his place on the roster. Yusei Kikuchi got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. Matt Chapman got the complete day off with Santiago Espinal at the hot corner. Whit Merrifield was in LF and batting leadoff. Could the Blue Jays extend the win streak to 5 games? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Guardians opened the scoring in the bottom of the 2nd as Ramon Laureano doubled scoring Oscar Gonzalez
- Tanner Bibee pitching line:7IP 6H 0R 0BB 6K 100 pitches (63 for strikes)
- Yusei Kikuchi pitching line: 7IP 3H 1R (earned) 1BB 6K 95 pitches (63 for strikes)
- Emmanuel Clase pitched a scoreless 9th for his 30th save of the season
- Final score: Guardians 1 Blue Jays 0
- Yusei Kikuchi pitched 7 strong innings, giving up a run (unfortunately the only run scored by either team) on 3 hits while walking 1 and striking out 6. He and Guardians starter Tanner Bibee threw the same number of strikes (63) and struck out the same number of batters (6). Kikuchi walked a batter. whereas Bibee did not walk anyone and Bibee allowed three more hits. In short, both starters were dialled in tonight. After allowing a 2-out walk in the 3rd inning, Kiuchi retired 12 in a row. In fact, Kikuchi retired 18 of the last 20 batters he faced. Just phenomenol
- Genesis Cabrera pitched a perfect 8th with one strikeout. He's almost certain to make the playoff roster with how well he is pitching
- Not much to say about the offense. Driving in runners in scoring position is still a major weak spot. The Blue Jays had two great chances to score early (runners on 1st and 2nd with 2 outs in the 1st inning only to have Daulton Varsho kill the rally with a groundout to 2nd, and bases loaded with one out in the 3rd inning only to have Geothe Springer and Varsho strikeout). Heck they had runners on the corners with 2 outs in the 9th only to have Alejandro Kirk fly out to CF to end the game.
- Up next, the Blie Jays try to retake the season series lead. Kevin Gausman starts against Guardians lefty Logan Allen/