|Brandon Belt hit a solo HR in a 6-2 loss to the Cubs|
After a tough loss to end the road trip, the Blue Jays returned home to take on the Cubs. Last season, the Blue Jays won the season series 2-1, outscoring the Cubs 15-14. Alek Manoah was optioned to AAA-ball and Hagen Danner was recalled from AAA-ball. Jose Berrios got the start with Alejandro Kirk behind the plate. Vlad was back in the field after DH'ing yesterday (Brandon Belt served as DH today). Paul DeJong was back at SS after the day of yesterday. Cavan Biggio got the start at 2B. Daulton Varsho was in CF. Could the Blue Jays start the homestand and weekend with a win? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Cubs opened the scoring in the top of the 1st as Nico Hoerner smacked a solo blast to left-center
- Two batters later, Cody Bellinger bashed a 2-run jack to right-center and into the Cubs bullpen; also scoring Ian Happ
- The Cubs added a pair of runs in the top of the 4th as Selya Suzuki doubled scoring Dansby Swanson and Jeimer Candelario
- Two batters later, Mike Tauchman singled home Suzuki
- The Blue jays got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Alejandro Kirk singled scoring Cavan Biggio
- Jose Berrios pitching line: 4.1IP 9H 6R (4 earned) 0BB 4K 91 pitches (62 for strikes)
- Javier Assad pitching line: 7IP 4H 1R (earned) 1BB 2K 90 pitches (58 for strikes)
- The Blue jays got one back in the bottom of the 8th as Brandon Belt belted a solo bomb to dead center
- Hagen Danner left his big league debut in the 9th After throwing just 7 pitches when his lower back seized up on him, he recorded one out and had a full count on the next batter.
- Final score: Cubs 6 Blue Jays 2
- Jose Berrios was lit up for 6 runs (4 earned) on 9 hits while walking none and striking out three in 4.1 innings. He had 2 rough innings, giving up 3 runs on two home runs. In the 4th inning, he gave up three more runs on three hits and a missed catch error charged to Vlad. Too many pitches in the prime hitting zone tonight.
- The bullpen did its job, allowing a hit (to be fair it was Jay Jackson's first pitch to a batter that already had a 3-2 count on him) and a walk in the last 4.2 innings. Bowden Francis was excellent and ate up 3.2 innings (he'll likely be optioned for a fresh arm in the morning). Really unfortunate that Hagen Danner had to leave his big league debut with an injury after throwing just 7 pitches. At least his recorded his first big league out before the injury
- What can you say about the offense. The Blue jays were sent down in order four times, could not score with runners on 1st and 2nd with one out in the 2nd inning and had few answers for the Cubs pitching tonight
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to snap the 2- game skid and avoid their 11th series loss of the season. Chris Bassitt starts against Cubs lefty Justin Steele