|Bo Bichette hit a trio of HR in the 2nd game of today's double header. He drover in two runs in the 1st game as the Blue Jays swept the double-header, defeating the Orioles 7-3 in game 1 and 8-4 in game 2.|
After eking out a win to complete a crucial series sweep of the Pirates yesterday, the Blue Jays began a crucial 4-game-in-3-nights series against the Orioles. The Orioles have won 6 of the 9 meetings in the season series thus far, outscoring the Blue Jays 48-45. Zach Pop was recalled as the 29th man for today's double header. Julian Merryweather was added for the 2nd game with Casey Lawrence optioned back to AAA-ball and Zack Collins DFA'd. Kevin Gausman started the 1st game and Jose Berrios started the 2nd game. Alejandro Kirk was behind the plate for the first game and Danny Jansen caught the second game. Matt Chapman DH'd in the 1st game and was at the hot corner in the second game. George Springer was in CF the first game and DH'd the second gsme. Lourdes Gurriel Jr. was in LF the 1st game and Raimel Tapia was in LF the 2nd game. Santiago Espinal was at the hot corner in the 1st game. Jackie Bradley Jr. started the 2nd game in CF. Could the Blue Jays sweep the double header or at least split the two games? Here is/are today's game recap(s).
Game Highlights (1st game):
- The Orioles opened the scoring in the bottom of the 1st as Anthony Santander hammered a solo bomb to right
- The Blue Jays tied the game in the top of the 2nd as Cavan Biggio singled scoring Matt Chapman
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the top of the 3rd on a fielder's choice hit by Alejandro Kirk that scored George Springer
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 5th on a ground out by Bo Bichette that scored Springer
- Mike Baumann pitching line: 5IP 8H 3R (all earned) 0BB 2K 78 pitches (54 for strikes)
- The Orioles got one back in the bottom of the 6th as Ryan Mountcastle doubled scoring Adley Rutschman
- Kevin Gausman pitching line: 6.2IP 7H 2R (both earned) 0BB 6K 93 pitches (65 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 8th as Teoscar Hernandez hammered a solo bomb to dead center
- The Orioles got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Santander smashed a solo blast to the opposite field in left
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 9th as Springer singled home Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
- A batter later, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. single scoring Santiago Espinal
- A batter after that, Bichette singled scoring Springer
- Final score: Blue Jays 7 Orioles 3
My Take (1st game):
- Kevin Gausman pitched 6.2 solid innings, allowing a pair of runs on seven hits while walking none and striking out six. Gausman was called for a balk in the 4th inning by Jeff Nelson. He was fired up, but John Schneider and Bo Bichette were able to settle him down and Gausman continued his solid day.
- The bullpen held the Orioles to a solo shot by Anthony Santander in the 8th inning. Zack Pop pitched a scoreless inning in relief.
- The Blue Jays offence was clutch in the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 8th innings with single runs. They put this one away in the 9th with back-to-back-to-back RBI singles
- Every Blue Jays starter except Alejandro Kirk had at least one hit
- Up next, the 2nd game of the double header. Jose Berrios starts against Orioles righty Keegan Akin.
Game Highlights (2nd game):
- The Orioles opened the scoring in the as Rougned Odor smashed a solo blast to right
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the top of the 3rd as Bo Bichette hammered a 3-run bomb to left; also scoring Jackie Bradley Jr. and George Springer
- Keegan Akin pitching line: 2.1IP 3H 2R (both earned) 1BB 4K 42 pitches (26 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 6th as Bichette smacked a solo jack to the opposite field in left
- Three batters later, Cavan Biggio belted a solo bomb to right
- Three batters later, Raimel and Danny Jansen scored on a ground rule double by Bradley Jr.
- The Orioles got one back in the bottom half of the inning on a catcher's inteference call charged to Danny Jansen that scored Odor
- A batter later, Kyle Stowers scored on a fielder's choice on a ball hit by Adley Rutschman
- Jose Berrios pitching line: 6IP 8H 3R (2 earned) 2BB 2K 91 pitches (54 for strikes)
- The Orioles got one back in the bottom of the 9th as Rutschman drilled a solo bomb to dead center
- Final score: Blue Jays 8 Orioles 4
My Take (2nd game):
- Jose Berrios the good was on the mound today, giving up 3 runs (2 earned) on 8 hits while walking 2 and striking out 2. He got a bit fortunate because the Orioles were getting hard contact against him, so command wasn't the best. I still think he'd start the second game of a WC series with Alek Manoah likely getting the 1st game.
- The bullpen held the Orioles to a run on 2 hits while striking out 1 over the final 3 innings. Julian Merryweather pitched for the first time in 6 weeks, coming off an oblique strain. He gave up a solo shot to Adley Rutschman
- Bo did the most damage offensively with three HR and 5 RBI in this one. Jackie Bradley Jr. drove in 2 on a ground rule double
- Every Blue Jays starter except George Springer and Vlad had at least one hit and all but Vlad reached base at least once
- In terms of the WC race, the Rays won and the Mariners lost. More importantly, the Blue Jays are 4.5 games ahead of the Orioles for the 3rd and final WC spot. The Blue Jays are just a half game back of the Rays and Marines for the 1st WC spot, but both the Rays and Mariners currently hold the tiebreakers
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to extend the win streak to 6 games and three straight over the Orioles. They will also be going for their 20th series win of the season. Mitch White starts against Orioles righty Kyle Bradish