|George Springer hit a 3-run HR in a 6-3 win over the Orioles|
After dropping the final game of the rare 5 game series vs. the Rays, the Blue Jays were looking to start the weekend with a win over the Orioles. It was a bullpen day with Trevor Richards getting the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. George Springer was back in the field after DH'ing yesterday. Teo got the half day off as DH with Jackie Bradley Jr in RF. Raimel Tapia was in LF. Cavan Biggio got the start at 2B. Could the Blue Jays start the weekend with a win? Here is tonight's game recap.
- Trevor Richards pitching line: 1IP 0H 0R 0BB 3K 15 pitches (10 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the bottom of the 2nd as Matt Chapman hammered a solo bomb to the second deck in left
- The Orioles took the lead in the top of the 4th as Adley Rutschman bashed a 2-run blast to left and into the Blue Jays bullpen; also scoring Cedric Mullins
- The Blue Jays retook the lead in the bottom of the 5th as George Springer smashed a 3-run blast to left; also scoring Chapman and Raimel Tapisa
- Jordan Lyles pitching line: 5IP 5H 4R (all earned) 1BB 5K 82 pitches (52 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a pair of runs in the bottom of the 6th as Chapmsn belted a 2-run bomb to the second deck in left; also scoring Bo Bichette
- The Orioles got one back in the top of the 9th as Gunnar Henderson smacked a solo blast to the opposite field in left and into the Blue Jays bullpen
- Final score: Blue Jays 6 Orioles 3
- Trevor Richards was an opener on a bullpen day for the 3rd time this season. He did his job today, striking out the side with an efficient 15 pitches. It was a much better effort than yesterday, when he was lit up for 5 runs on 3 hits snd 2 walks.
- The rest of the bullpen held the Orioles to 3 runs on 5 hits while walking 2 and striking out 8 over the final 8 innings. Yusei Kikuchi was credited with the win
- Offensively, the Blue Jays got their offence via the long ball. Matt Chapman went yard twice (a solo shot in the 2nd and a 2-run shot in the 6th). George Springer added a 3-run shot in the 5th inning. This team is still all or nothing when it comes to scoring runs.
- In terms of the WC race, the Rays lost and the Mariners were losing in the 3rd inning. The Blue Jays are 1.5 games up on the Rays and will either be a full game or a half game up on the Mariners. The Orioles as 4.5 games back of a WC spot and 5.5 games up on the Orioles.
- Up next, the Blue Jays go for their 22nd series win and their 2nd straight win. Jose Berrios starts against Orioles righty Kyle Bradish