|Alek Manoah pitched 8 stellar innings in a 4-1 come-from-behind win over the Orioles
After dropping yesterday's game in a fiesty 9-6 loss, the Blue Jays were looking for their 20 series win of the season and to restore the 4.5 game cushion over the Orioles for the final WC spot. Teoscar Hernandez was placed on the paternity list. Mitch White was optioned to AAA-ball. Catcher Gabriel Moreno and righty Zack Pop were recalled. Zack Collins was claimed off waivers by the Pirates. Alek Manoah got the start with Alejandro Kirk behind the plate. Vlad was back in the field after DH'ing yesterday. Raimel Tapia was in RF and Jackie Bradley Jr. was in CF.
- The Orioles opened the scoring in the bottom of the 1st as Ryan Mountcastle doubled scoring Anthony Santander
- The Blue Jays tied the game in the top of the 2nd as Alejandro Kirk scored on a fielder's choice hit by Lourdes Gurriel Jr.. Unfortunately, Gurriel Jr. injured his hamstring on the play and was replaced in the bottom half of the inning by Whit Merrifield, who took over in RF. Raimel Tapia went across the diamond to LF.
- Tyler Wells pitching line: 2H 1R (earned)
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the top of the 4th on a ground out by Vladimir Guerrero Jr. that scored Santiago Espinal
- Two batters later, Kirk singled scoring Jackie Bradley Jr.
- A batter later, Bo Bichette scored on a throwing error by Adley Rutschman
- Alek Manoah pitching line: 8IP 3H 1R (earned) 1BB 5K 95 pitches (66 for strikes)
- Jordan Romano pitched a perfect 9th for his 31st save of the season
- Final score: Blue Jays 4 Orioles 1
- Alek Manoah was excellent tonight, throwing 8 brilliant innings, giving up a run on 3 hits while walking 1 and striking out 5 over 8 innings. Two of those hits and the walk came in the 1st inning. He retired 14 in a row between the 2-out walk in the 1st inning and the 1-out double in the 6th.He also retied the final 8 batters he faced.
- Jordan Romano made quick work in the 9th, striking out 2.
- The Blue Jays depth in the outfield may be facing a test sooner than later with Lourdes Gurriel Jr. going down with what looks to be a hamstring strain. The Blue Jays LF was injured as he fully extended his left leg trying to negate a double play. Teo is also away from the team on paternity leave. He should be back the next game or two and of course George Springer will be splitting time between playing in the field and DH'ing to preserve him for the playoff
- Offensively, a 3-run 5th inning was the difference. A clutch base hit, a run scoring on a fielder's choice and a throwing error by Orioles catcher Adley Rutschman were how the runs were scored
- The Blue Jays were 2-11 with runners in scoring position
- In terms of the WC race, the Blue Jays have a 4.5 game cushion on the Orioles. The Rays won and Mariners lost, meaning the Rays are in the 1st WC spot, a game and a half ahead of the Blue Jays and a a game ahead of the Mariners, who are sitting in the 2nd WC spot, a half game ahead of the Blue Jays and 1 game back of the Rays.
- Up next, after an off-day tomorrow, the Blue Jays open a series against the Rangers. The Blue Jays took 2 of 3 in the season-opening series back in Toronto. The Rangers actually outscored the Blue Jays 23-20 in that series. Ross Stripling starts Friday against Rangers righty Dane Dunning