|Danny Jansen drove in the winning run in the top of the 9th as the Blue Jays edged the Rangers 4-3|
After an off-day yesterday, the Blue Jays opened a series against the Rangers. The Blue Jays took 2 of 3 in the season-opening series back in Toronto. The Rangers actually outscored the Blue Jays 23-20 in that series. Lourdes Gurriel Jr. was placed on the 10-day IL with a left hamstring strain. Otto Lopez was recalled to take his roster spot. Ross Stripling got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate.. George Springer was back in the field after DH'ing Wednesday. Raimel Tapia was in LF and Jackie Bradley Jr. was in RF. Alejandro Kirk served as DH. Could the Blue Jays make it two straight wins? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the top of the 1st on a fielder's choice hit by Bo Bichette that scored George Springer
- The Blue Jays added a pair of runs in the top of the 3rd as Bichette whacked a 2-run shot to the opposite field in right-center; also scoring Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
- The Rangers got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Josh Jung belted a solo bomb to left-center
- The Rangers got one back in the bottom of the 6th as Corey Seager singled scoring Marcus Semien
- Dane Dunning pitching line: 5.2IP 7H 3R (all earned) 2BB 5K 97 pitches (56 for strikes)
- Ross Stripling pitching line: 6IP 3H 2R (both earned) 0BB 4K 68 pitches (48 for strikes)
- The Rangers tied the game in the bottom of the 8th as Seager doubled scoring Bubba Thompson
- The Blue Jays retook the lead in the top of the 9th as Danny Jansen singled scoring Raimel Tapia
- Jordan Romano threw a scoreless 9th for his 32nd save of the year
- Final score: Blue Jays 4 Rangers 3
- Ross Stripling threw 6 solid innings, giving up a pair of runs on 3 hits while walking none and striking out 4. He retired the first 6 batters before giving up a solo jack.. He then retired 11 straight before allowing 2 straight hits. Either John Schneider had a short leash on Strip with the importance of games increasing every day or Strip had a minor ailment that the Blue Jays weren't taking any chances on.
- Yimi Garcia gave up the game-tying run in the 8th and Jordan Romano pitched a scoreless 9th after the Blue Jays retook the lead in the top half of the inning.
- Bo Bichette did most of the damage offensively, driving in three runs and scoring one of those runs via a 2-run jack. Danny Jansen was in the the 9th to single home the game winning run
- In terms of the WC race, the Rays and Orioles both won their games, while the Mariners were losing in the 6th inning when this recap was published. If the Mariners lose, the Blue Jays would pass them in the WC standings and lead them by a half game. The Orioles would be 4 games back for the final WC spot.
- Up next, the Blue Jays go for 3 straight wins and their 21st series win of the season and their 11th season series win of the season. Kevin Gausman starts against Rangers righty Kohei Arihara