|Vladimir Guerrero Jr. hit his 100th career HR in a 5-1 win over the Rays. Guerrero Jr. is the youngest player in Blue Jays franchise history to reach the 100 career HR mark.|
After splitting yesterday's double header on the back of a gutsy performance from Alek Manoah, who had a solid start despite dealing with a stomach flu, the Blue Jays were going for 2 straight wins and their 21st series win of the season. Ross Stripling got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. George Springer was back in the field after DH'ing the second game of yesterday's double header. Vlad got the half day off as DH tonight with Cavan Biggio at 1B. Santiago Espinal was at 2B. Raimel Tapia was in LF and Jackie Bradley Jr. was in RF. Could the Blue Jays make it two straight wins over the Rays? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the bottom of the 1st as Vladimir Guerrero Jr. hammered a solo bomb off the basing of the 3rd deck in left-center. Guerrero Jr. is the youngest Blue Jay to reach his 100th career HR.
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 3rd on a fielder's choice hit by Guerrero Jr. that scored Santiago Espinal.
- A batter later, Bo Bichette singled home Jackie Bradley Jr.
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 4th as Espinal singled scoring Danny Jansen
- Drew Rasmussen pitching line: 4IP 6H 4R (all earned) 1BB 1K 67 pitches (49 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 6th as Raimel Tapia singled home Jansen
- The Rays broke the shutout bid in the top of the 7th as Harold Ramirez belted a solo jack to left
- Ross Stripling pitching line: 6.1IP 3H 1R (earned) 1BB 4K 87 pitches (65 for strikes)
- Ross Stripling pitched 6.1 solid innings, giving up 1 run on 3 hits while walking 1 and striking out 4. He retired the first 5 batters he faced and 11 of the last 13 batters he faced. Stripling really only made one mistake that went into the bleachers in left. He also gave up 2-out doubles in the 2nd and 5th innings and retired the subsequent batter to end the inning. Stripling should get consideration to start a WC game.
- The bullpen held the Rays to 4 hits and a walk while striking out 4 over the last 2.2 innings.
- Vlad Sr. must be thrilled tonight as his son Vlad Jr. became the youngest player to reach 100 career HR. Vlad Jr. is a mere 349 HR behind his father, who hit 449 HR. Both Guerrero brothers hit the 100HR mark in Canada. Vlad Sr. hit his 100th career home run April 26, 2000 while playing for the Expos. Montreal was at home that day facing the Colorado Rockies.
- Every Blue Jays starter except Matt Chapman and Cavan Biggio had at least one hit
- In terms of the WC race, the Orioles and Mariners won their games. The Blue Jays are in the top WC spot, a half game ahead of the Mariners, 1.5 games up on the Rays and 5.5 games up on the Orioles, who are 4 back of the Rays for the final WC spot. The race is not over yet.
- The Blue Jays are now guaranteed to finish the season at .500
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to extend the win streak to 3 games. Kevin Gausman starts against Rays lefty Shane McClanahan