|Brandon Belt was 2-3 with a pair of RBI and three runs scored in an 8-2 rout over the Pirates|
After a solid shutout win over the Pirates yesterday thanks to seven solid shutout innings from Chris Bassitt, the Blue Jays were looking to make it two straight wins over the Pirates and 8 series wins on the season. Jose Berrios got the start with Alejandro Kirk behind the plate. Vlad got the full day off (he was initially DH'ing but was removed from the lineup completely due to a sore wrist) with Cavan Biggio at 1B. Daulton Varsho was in LF and Kevin Kiermaier got the start in CF. Whit Marrifield was at 2B. Brando Belt served as DH. Could the Blue Jays make it two straight wins and 8 series wins? Here is today's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the top of the 1st as Daulton Carshon singled scoring George Springer
- Three batters later, Brandon Belt doubled scoring Bo Bichette and Varsho
- A batter later, Alejandro Kirk doubled home Belt
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 3rd as Cavan Biggio singled scoring Belt
- A batter later, Kevin Kiermaier singled home Alejandro Kirk and Biggio
- Johan Oviedo pitching line: 5IP 10H 7R (6 earned) 3BB 3K 89 pitches (57 for strikes)
- The Pirates got one back in the bottom of the 6th as Connor Joe singled scoring Bryan Reynolds
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 7th on a double play ball hit by Kiermaier that scored Belt
- The Pirates got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Jack Suwinski hammered a solo bomb to right-center
- Jose Berrios pitching line: 6.1IP 5H 2R (both earned) 1BB 7K 100 pitches (61 for strikes)
- Belt was ejected in the 8th inning for arguing balls and strikes
- Final score: Blue Jays 8 Pirates 2
- The good Jose Berrios showed up tonight, firing 6.2 innings, giving up a pair of runs on 5 hits while walking 1 ad striking out 7. Berrios had a perfect game going through 13 batters, until he walked Jack Suwinski, who later took Berrios deep in the 7th inning. Hopefully Berrios can get on a roll now.
- The bullpen was excellent, walking a batter and striking out 5 batters over 2.1 innings. Tim Mauza struck out the side. Jay Jackson made his Blue Jays debut after he was recalled yesterday with Zack Pop landing on the 15-day IL with a right hamstring strain.
- Offensively, the Blue Jays jumped all over Pirates starter Johan Ovieda, jumping out to a 7-run leads after 3 innings. Unlikely hero Brandon Belt (only in the lineup because Vladdy had a sore wrist) had a great day, driving in 2 and scoring 3 times. Kevin Kiermaier drove in a pair, and Alejandro Kirk drove in one and scored one. None of the runs came off a home run.
- Every Blue Jays starter except Whit Merrifield reached base at least once.
- The Blue Jays were 6-17 with runners in scoring position,
- Up next, the Blue Jays try for their third straight win and second sweep of the season. Yusei Kikuchi starts against Pirates righty Roansy Contreras