|Daulton Varson hit a solo HR in a losing effort as the Red Sox came from behind to defeat the Blue Jays 5-3|
After another tough late-game loss, the Blue Jays were looking to snap the 3-game skid and avoid their second series loss of the season. Ace Alek Manoah got the start with Alejando Kirk behind the plate. Matt Chapman got the half day off as DH with Santiago Espinal at the hot corner. Could the Blue Jays snap the 3-game skid and avoid their 2nd series loss of the season? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the top of the 2nd as Daulton Varsho bashed a solo blast to right and into the Blue Jays bullpen
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 3rd as Vladimir Guerrero Jr. annihiliated a solo bomb to left and over the green monster, right out of Fenway Park
- The Red Sox got one back in the bottom of the 4th as Jarren Duran doubled scoring Rafael Devers
- A batter later, Triston Casas singled home Duran
- The Blue Jays retook the lead in the top of the 5th as Kevin Kiermaier scored on a balk charged to Nick Pivetta
- The Red Sox tied the game in the bottom half of the inning as Casas singled scoring Masataka Yoshida
- A batter later, Enmanuel Valdez singled scoring Justin Turner and Duran
- Alek Manoah pitching line: 5IP 8H 5R (2 earned) 1BB 3K 103 pitches (63 for strikes)
- The Red Sox added a run in the bottom of the 6th as Yoshida singled home Conner Wong
- Nick Pivetta pitching line: 6IP 5H 3R (all earned) 1BB 6K 94 pitches (62 for strikes)
- The Red Sox added a run in the bottom of the 7th as Yoshiga doubled scoring Enrique Hernandez
- The Red Sox added a run in the bottom of the 8th as Hernandez singled home Casas
- Final score: Red Sox 8 Blue Jays 3
- Alek Manoah had another start to forget. giving up five runs (2 earned) on 8 hits while walking 1 and striking out 3. He didn't help his cause with a bad throw and a wild pitch that led to two of the runs eventally. There was also bad luck in the field on a 2-run single of Vlad's glove. Nonetheless, Manoah has not looked like himself this season, whether he is trying to play through an injury or is trying to adjust to the pitch clock and that is causing him to rush his delivery a bit.
- The bullpen gave up a further 3 runs on 7 hits while walking three and striking out three over the last 3 innings. Trevor Richards walked all three of the batters. Clearly bullpen upgrades need to be considered
- The Blue Jays offense tacked on a pair of early runs off Red Sox starter Nick Pivetta and later scored a run when a balk was charged to Pivetta
- Not much happened with the bats after the 6th inning with just two base runners, although Alejandro Kirk did have a 12-pitch at-bat before grounding out
- The Blue Jays were 0-5 with runners in scoring position.
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to end the 4 game skid and avoid being swept for the first time this season. Kevin Gausman starts against Red Sox righty Brayan Bello