|Alejandro Kirk hit a three-run HR in a 7-5 loss to the Cubs
After winning on Marcus Stroman's first game against the Blue Jays (Stroman got a no-decision), the Blue Jays were looking to extend the win streak to 3 games and sweep their 6th series of the season. It was the annual Jays Care auction game with all proceeds going to the Jays care foundation and providing play-based programs for kids. Mitch White got the start with Alejandro Kirk behind the plate. George Springer was back in CF after the half day off as DH yesterday. Vlad got the half day off as DH with Cavan Biggio at 1B. Whit Merrifield was at 2B. Could the Blue Jays sweep their 19th series of the season, extend the win streak to 3 games and end the home stand on a winning note? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Cubs opened the scoring in the top of the 1st as Ian Happ singled scoring Seiya Suzuki
- The Cubs added a run in the top of the 2nd on a delayed double steal. Alfonso Rivas was caught stealing second, but Yan Gomes scored on the play
- The Cubs added a pair of runs in the top of the 3rd as Nico Hoerner doubled scoring Franmil Reyes and Happ
- A batter later, Rafael Ortega singled home Hoerner
- The Blue Jays got a pair back in the bottom half of the inning as Cavan Biggio belted a 2-run bomb to the second deck in left; also scoring Teoscar Hernandez
- Luke Farrell pitching line: 2IP 2H 2R (both earned) 0BB 2K 31 pitches (20 for strikes)
- The Cubs added a run in the top of the 5th as Reyes bashed a solo blast to the opposite field in right-center and into the Cubs bullpen
- Mitch White pitching line: 4.2IP 8H 6R (all earned) 1BB 5K 92 pitches (67 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays got three back in the bottom of the 6th as Alejandro Kirk hammered a 3-run bomb to left; also scoring Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
- The Cubs added a run in the top of the 7th as Zack McKinstry singled scoring Rivas
- Rowan Wick pitched a scoreless 9th for his 9th save of the season
- Final score: Cubs 7 Blue Jays 5
- Mitch White battled through 4.2 innings, giving up 6 runs on 8 hits while walking 1 and striking out 5. The Cubs took him yard once and scored on a double steal. They also drove in 4 other runs off White. The #5 starter's spot continues to be an issue. You have to wonder if the Blue Jay may either use an opener and patch starts together or switch to a 4-man rotation, especially if the Twins and/or Orioles hang around in the WC standings
- The bullpen held the Cubs to a run on two hits while striking out 5 over the final 4.2 innings. David Phelps gave up both the hits and the run
- Offensively the Blue Jays got a 3-run shot from Alejandro Kirk and a 2-run bomb from Cavan Biggio. The team was 1-3 with runners in scoring position
- In terms of the WC race. not a great day with the Orioles, Rays and Mariners all winning. The Twins were losing at the time this recap was published
- Up next, after an off-day tomorrow, the Blue Jays begin a weekend road trip in Pittsburgh to begin a stretch of a ton of baseball, including a double header Monday in Baltimore. The Pirates took the season series 2-1 and outscored the Blue Jays 16-7 last time these two squads met in 2017. Neither team has set their rotation for the series, but it would be Alek Manoah's turn.