|Vladimir Guerrero Jr. extended his hiting streak to 21 games in an 8-0 shutout loss to the Guardians|
After a rainout Wednesday and an off-day yesterday, the Blue Jays opened a six game home stand with three games against the Guardians. The Guardians took 3 of 4 from the Blue Jays May 5-8 and outscored the Blue Jays in that series 21-18. Jose Berrios got the start with Alejandro Kirk behind the plate. Jackie Bradley Jr. made his Blue Jays debut in CF. Vlad got the half day off as DH with Cavan Biggio at 1B. Could the Blue Jays snap the 2-game skid? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Indians opened the scoring in the top of the 3rd as Amed Rosario singled scoring Austin Hedges and Will Benson
- A batter later, Steven Kwan scored on a sac fly by Jose Ramirez
- A day after that, Josh Naylor whacked an opposite-field 2-run blast to left and into the Blue Jays bullpen; also scoring Rosario
- The Indians added 3 runs in the top of the 4th as Ramirez belted a 3-run bomb to right; also scoring Benson and Kwan
- Jose Berrios pitching line: 4IP 8H 8R (all earned) 2BB 1K 73 pitches (47 for strikes)
- Vladimir Guerrero Jr. extended his hitting streak to 21 games with a 4th inning double, breaking up the perfect game bid.
- Cal Quantrill pitching line: 7IP 1H 0R 0BB 7K 98 pitches (64 for strikes)
- Final score: Guardians 8 Blue Jays 0
- Jose Berrios was shelled for 8 runs on 8 hits while walking 2 and striking out 1. Blue Jays fans were breathing a sigh of relief when Berrios' start was pushed back two days by the rainout Wednesday and scheduled team off-day yesterday, thinking he pitches better at home and the extra rest would do him good. Unfortunately that was not the case. The 3rd inning was a disaster as he gave up 5 runs on 2 hit batters, a sac fly, and 5 hits, including a 2-run home run. The next inning, he gave up a 3-run bomb to REALLY put the game away. It's getting to the point where Berrios might not get a start in the playoffs, certainly he wouldn't be the opening game starter.
- The bullpen did its job, keeping the Guardians off the scoreboard and limiting them to 6 hits and a walk over 5 innings. None of the relievers had a clean inning
- The offense was pitiful with just 3 base runners all night. Vlad extended his hitting streak to 21 games with a double in the 4th inning. Jackie Bradley Jr. got his 1st hit as a Blue Jay with a single in the 9th.
- The Blue Jays did not receive much help in the standings. The Orioles won big, putting them a game and a half behind the Blue Jays for the 1st WC spot and a half game back of the 2nd wild card spot. Seattle was leading Texas in the 6th. They would pass the Blue Jays and be in the 1st WC spot if the score held. Minnesota had an early lead over the Angels and the White Sox shut out the Tigers.
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to snap the 3-game skid. Mitch White gets the start against Guardians righty Triston McKenzie.