|Teoscar Hernandez hit a solo HR that held up as the game winning run in a 2-1 come-from-behind win over the Guardians|
After an ugly shutout loss to the Guardians last night where the only highlight was Vlad extending his hitting streak to 21 games, the Blue Jays were looking to snap the 3 game skid. They were also looking to extend their record to 19-22 on yours truly's birthday (August 13th). Mitch White got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. Vlad was back in the field after DH'ing yesterday, Raimel Tapia got the start in CF and Alejandro Kirk served as DH. Could the Blue Jays snap the 3 game skid? Here is today's game recap.
- The Guardians took the lead in the top of the 1st as Andres Giminez singled scoring Steven Kwan
- Vlad extended his hitting streak to 22 games with a ground rul double in the bottom half of the inning
- Mitch White pitching line: 4.2IP 3H 1R (earned) 3BB 3K 82 pitches (52 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays tied the game in the bottom of the 5th as Matt Chapman smashed a solo blast to left-center
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the bottom of the 7th as Teoscar Hernandez belted a solo bomb to dead center
- Triston McKenzie pitching line: 6.2IP 5H 2R (both earned) 2BB 3K 101 pitches (69 for strikes)
- Jordan Romano got the last 4 outs for his 26th save of the season
- Final score: Blue Jays 2 Guardians 1
- Mitch White threw 4.2 innings, giving up a run on 3 hits while walking 3 and striking out 3. A trade deadline acquisition, it took White 8 pitches to find the strike zone and he walked two and allowed a run on an RBI single in the opening inning. He did settle down and retired 8 in a row after the single. White could remain in the rotation once Stripling returns from his butt injury if they choose to put Yusei Kikuchi in the bullpen. At the very least, he'll be a long man option in the bullpen.
- The bullpen held the Guardians to 3 hits and a walk while striking out 4 over the final 4.1 innings. Yimi Garcia and Jordan Romano both benefited from the shadows affecting the batter's vision in the last 2 innings. Zach Pop got the Blue Jays out of the 5th inning. He has yet to allow a run at all and batters have just 4 hits off him, including today's appearance. Anthony Bass had a clean inning. He's allowed 1 earned run, 2 hits and a walk since he was reacquired at the trade deadline.
- Vlad is creeping towards the halfway mark to Joe Dimaggio's 56 game hit streak. He extended his streak to 22 games with a ground rule double in the 1st inning. He has been getting great contact lately so anything is possible. Stay tuned7
- Teo and Matt Chapman provided the offence with a pair of solo HR. The offence didn't do much else today.
- Up next, the Blue Jays go for 2 straight wins. Kevin Gausman starts against Guardians righty Shane Bieber.