|Bo Bichette drove in 4 runs and scored twice in a 6-5 come-from-behind-loss to the Orioles|
After dropping the first game of this series last night on another subpar performance from Yusei Kikuchi, who may be running out of chances with increasing calls from the fanbase to remove him from the rotation. The Blue Jays signed Jackie Bradley Jr. to a 1-year deal and opened up space on the active roster by optioning Otto Lopez back to AAA-ball. Matt Peacock was also DFA'd. Alek Manoah got the start with Alejandro Kirk behind the plate. Vlad got the half day off as DH with Cavan Biggio at 1B. Lourdes Gurriel Jr. was back in the field after the day off yesterday. Teo had the day off today with Raimel Tapia in RF. Santiago Espinal was back at 2B after the day off yesterday. Could the Blue Jays even the series? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Orioles opened the scoring in the bottom of the 1st on a double play ball hit by Ryan Mountcastle that scored Cedric Mullins
- A batter later, Terrin Vavra singled scoring Adley Rutschman
- The Blue Jays got one back in the top of the 2nd as Bo Bichette hammered a solo bomb to the opposite field in right
- The Orioles added a run in the bottom of the 3rd on a sac fly by Vavra that scored Anthony Santander
- The Blue Jays got one back in the top of the 6th as Alejandro Kirk singled scoring Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
- Two batters later, Bichette belted a 3-run bomb to the opposite field in right; also scoring Kirk and Matt Chapman
- Kyle Bradish pitching line: 5.1IP 5H 3R (all earned) 2BB 4K 80 pitches (49 for strikes)
- Alek Manoah pitching line: 5IP 8H 3R (all earned) 1BB 5K 77 pitches (54 for strikes)
- The Orioles got one back in the bottom of the 7th as Mountcastle doubled scoring Rutschman
- The Orioles took the lead in the bottom of the 8th as Rougned Odor jacked a 2-run bomb to right-center; also scoring Austin Hays
- Felix Bautista pitched a scoreless 9th for his 6th save of the season
- Final score: Orioles 6 Blue Jays 5
- Alek Manoah battled through 5 innings, giving up 3 runs on 8 hits while walking 1 and striking out 5. The Orioles got to him quickly, scoring twice in the 1st inning and once in the 3rd inning. He very nearly got a triple play to escape the 1st inning unscathed. Unfortunately the play was ruled a trap catch upon replay. Even the best pitchers have off-nights. He'll be fine.
- Not a great night for the bullpen, who are definitely missing Tim Mayza. The winning runs came off the bat off the left-handed hitting Rougned Odor, who went yard on Yimi Garcia, who is now 1-4 on the season. The Blue Jays should bring Matt Gage up or even Taylor Saucedo.
- It was Bo's big night at the park. He drove in four of the five Blue Jays runs off a solo shot in the 2nd inning and a 3-run bomb in the 6th.
- Vlad extended his hitting streak to 19 games with a single in the 6th inning
- With the loss, the Blue Jays fall to 18-20 against AL East opponents
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to avoid being swept to end the road trip. Ace Jose Berrios starts against Orioles righty Dean Kremer