|Bo Bichette drove in the Blue Jays only run in a 6-1 loss to the Cardinals|
After a solid win yesterday on the back of a grand slam by George Springer, the Blue Jays were looking for their 8th straight win, their 5th series sweep and their 8th season series win of the season. Kevin Gausman got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. Vlad was back in the field after DH'ing yesterday. Lourdes Gurriel Jr. got the complete day off with Raimel Tapia in CF. Alejandro Kirk served as DH tonight. Cavan Biggio got the start at 2B. Could the Blue Jays make it eight wins in a row? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Cardinals opened the scoring in the top of the 3rd as Dylan Carlson doubled scoring Nolan Gorman
- The Cardinals added a run in the top of the 4th as Lars Nootbaar doubled home Brendan Donovan
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Bo Bichette singled scoring Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
- The Cardinals added a run in the top of the 5th as Gorman smashed a solo bomb to left-center
- Four batters later, Albert Pujols hammered a 3-run bomb to the second deck in left-center; also scoring Andrew Knizner and Tyler O'Neil
- Kevin Gausman pitching line: 4.2IP 8H 5R (all earned) 1BB 6K 86 pitches (56 for strikes)
- Adam Wainwright pitching line: 7IP 5H 1R (earned) 0BB 8K 99 pitches (70 for strikes)
- Final score: Cardinals 6 Blue Jays 1
- Kevin Gausman battled through 4.2 innings, giving up 5 runs on 8 hits while walking 1 and striking out 6, He actually started well, retiring 7 of 9 first time through the order. The fourth inning could have been much worse if not for a couple of timely outfield assists. First Albert Pujols was gunned down at home by Teo. Second, Lars Nootbaar was thrown out at third base trying to stretch a double into a triple (another great play by Teo and assisted by Vlad who complete the relay to Matt Chapman). The final 2 runs charged to Gausman came after he was pulled on a 3-run bomb to Albert Pujols off Trevor Richards. Obviously not a great outing by Gausman.
- Trevor Richards and Anthony Banda both had shaky outings. Richards gave up the 3-run HR in the 6th that put the game out of reach. Banda loaded the bases with none out on 2 hits and a walk. He escaped the inning without any damage thanks to another fine defensive play - this time an unassisted DP on a line drive to Cavan Biggio. Banda struck out the next batter to escape the inning. Jeremy Beasley had a nice bounceback performance after loading the bases last night. Beasley retired the side in order tonight. David Phelps also had a clean inning and struck out 2.
- Offensively, all the Blue jays managed was a run on 5 hits - all off Adam Wanwright. In fact, the final thirteen Blue Jays batters were retired in order. The last hit came with 2 outs in the 5th inning.
- Up next, the Blue Jays open a 4-game set against the Tigers. They won 2 of 3 in Detroit June 10-12 and outscored the Tigers 17-4. Yusei Kikuchi is expected to come off the IL to make the start. The Tigers will counter with lefty Tyler Alexander