|Alek Manoah threw 7 strong innings in an 8-1 rout over the Royals|
After dropping the opening game of the final series before the all-star break, the Blue Jays were looking to even the series against the Royals. Alek Manoah got the start with Alejandro Kirk behind the plate. George Springer got the half day off as DH with Raimel Tapia in CF. Could the Blue Jays start the weekend with a win? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the bottom of the 2nd as Raimel Tapia singled home Teoscar Hernandez
- The Blue Jays added a trio of runs in the bottom of the 3rd as Hernandez drilled a 3-run bomb to dead center; also scoring Alejandro Kirk and Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
- Zack Greinke pitching line: 4IP 8H 4R (3 earned) 1BB 3K 83 pitches (49 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added 3 runs in the botttom of the 5th as Matt Chapman hammered a 3-run bomb to the second deck in left; also scoring Bo Bichette and Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 6th as Kirk singled home Cavan Biggio
- Alek Manoah pitching line: 7IP 4H 1R (earned) 0BB 6K 86 pitches (63 for strikes)
- Final score: Blue Jays 8 Royals 1
- Alek Manoah threw 7 strong innings, allowing a run on 4 hits while walking none and striking out 6. After allowing a leadoff single to start the game, Manoah retired 12 straight before hitting Ryan O'Hearn to start the 5th. Manoah definitely deserves to start the all-star game.
- The bullpen was solid, allowing just 1 hit while striking out 4 over the final 2 innings
- The bats busted out in a big way after a quiet night last night. Teo drove in three runs and scored twice. Matt Chapman smoked a 3-run bomb Alejandro Kirk drove in one and scored another. Raimel Tapia drove in a run
- Every Blue Jays starter had at least one hit
- The score could have been much worse if the team was a bit better at driving in runs. They were 6-17 with runners in scoring position
- Up next, the Blue Jays go for 2 in a row. The Blue Jays have not announced a starter. The Royals will start lefty Daniel Lynch