Joe Panik was 4-4 with 3 runs scored and 3 RBI in an 11-2 rout over the Indians
After splitting the double header yesterday, which included a 1st career win for prospect Alek Manoah. Today, the Blue Jays opened a weekend series against the Indians. In 2019, the Indians won 6/7 meetings in the season series, outscoring the Blue Jays 29-11. The Blue Jays sent ace Hyun-Jin-Ryu to the mound. The Indians countered with righty Eli Morgan, who was making his MLB debut tonight. Bo Bichette got the half dsay off, serving as the DH with Joe Panik at 2B. Espinal Santiago was at the hot corner. Could the Blue Jays win the opener of this series? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Indians opened the scoring in the bottom of the 1st as Eddie Rosario singled scoring Cesar Hernandez and Jose Ramirez
- The Blue Jays got one back in the top of the 2nd on a ground out by Santiago Espinal that scored Randal Grichuk
- A batter later, Danny Jansen doubled home Joe Panik
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 3rd as Grichuk doubled home Bo Bichette
- A batter later, Lourdes Gurriel Jr. doubled scoring Grichuk
- A batter later, Panik bashed a 2-run blast to right; also scoring Gurriel Jr.
- Eli Morgan pitching line: 2.2IP 8H 6R (all earned) 2BB 1K 65 pitches (35 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a pair of runs in the top of the 5th as Gurriel Jr. doubled home Grichuk and Teoscar Hernandez
- A batter later, Panik singled home Gurriel Jr.
- Hyun-Jin Ryu pitching line: 5IP 4H 2R (both earned) 2BB 6K 91 pitches (58 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added 2 more runs as Espinal doubled home Vladimir Guerrero Jr, and Gurriel Jr.]
- Final score: Blue Jays 11 Indians 2 (6.5 innings)
- Not the best outing for Hyun-Jin Ryu who gave up 2 runs on 3 hits and a pair of walks in the 1st inning alone. He did settle down after that, allowing just one more hit over the next 4 innings. Weather definitely could have been a factor with cold weather and rainy conditions.
- Weather was definitely a factor, and led to the game ending after sic and a half innings. Rain was falling the whole game, it was very foggy out too, making visibility difficult.
- Joe Panik, Randal Grichuk, and Lourdes Gurriel Jr. combined to go 9-13 with 8 runs scored and 9 RBI to drive the offense on this day
- Every Blue Jays starter except Bo Bichette had at least 1 hit and Bichette drew a walk
- The Blue Jays were 9-18 with runners in scoring position.
- Up next, the Blue Jays go for the series win, assuming the weather clears in time. Ross Stripling gets the start against Indians lefty Sam Hentges