After a strong win last night on the backs of a strong pitching performance from Hyun-Jin Ryu and a 2 HR effort from Teoscar Hernandez, the Blue Jays were going for the season series sweep against the Braves. Ross Stripling got the start against Braves ace Charlie Morton. Reese McGuire got the start behind the plate. Randal Grichuk was given the day off. Could the Blue Jays complete the season series sweep vs. the Braves? Here is today's game recap.
- The Braves opened the scoring in the bottom of the 1st as Ronald Acuna Jr. hammered the first pitch by Ross Stripling into the 2nd deck in left
- Four batters later, Ehire Adrianza singled home Freddie Freeman
- The Blue Jays got one back in the top of the 2nd as Jonathan Davis singled scoring Cavan Biggio
- The Blue Jays tied the game in the top of the 5th as Bo Bichette singled home Reese McGuire
- Two batters later, Teoscar Hernandez singled scoring Bichette
- Charlie Morton pitching line: 4.2IP 7H 3R (all earned) 2BB 4K 94 pitches (57 for strikes)The
- Ross Stripling pitching line: 5IP 4H 2R (both earned) 1BB 9K 84 pitches (55 for strikes)
- The Braves took the lead in the bottom of the 7th as Dansby Swanson crushed a 2-run blast to the upper deck in left; also scoring Marcell Ozuna. They also lost outfielder Cristian Pache to a leg injury
- scary moment in the bottom of the 7th: Acuna Jr. was injured while trying to beat out an infield single. After several moments writhing in agony, he was able to leave the field under his own power
- The Blue Jays tied the game in the top of the 8th as Biggio doubled home Hernandez
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the top of the 9th as Bichette doubled scoring Danny Jansen and Marcus Semen
- Two batters later, Biggio doubled home Bichette
- A batter later, Hernandez scored on a sac fly by Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
- Final score: Blue Jays 8 Braves 4
- Ross Stripling faced a crucial start as the Blue Jays start to get their pitchers back from the IL. He gave up 2 runs on 4 hits while walking 1 and striking out 9. He had a rough start in the first inning with Ronald Acuna finding the upper deck on his first pitch of the game, He then allowed a second run on a further three hits. He settled down nicely after that, retiring seven in a row at one point and allowing just one base runner after the 1st inning on a walk. Stripling was 0-1 at the plate and had one successful sac bunt
- The bullpen was strong again, giving up 2 runs on 2 hits, walking one and striking out 6 over the game's final 4 innings. Tim Mayza was touched up for both runs as Dansby Swanson crushed a 2-run bomb into the second deck. Jordan Romano struck out the side in the 9th
- It's the first time the Blue Jays swept a season series over Atlanta since 2006, and this was more impressive since they only had one 3-game series in 2008; whereas they had to win 6 games this time around
- Timely hitting and a huge 4-run 9th inning was the difference in this one.
- Bo Bichette (3 RBI, 2 runs scored), Cavan Biggio (2RBI 1 run scored), Marcus Semien (run scored) and Reese McGuire (run scored) drove the offense today.
- Up next, the Blue Jays head home to Dunedin to begin a 10-game in 11 days home stand beginning with a weekend series vs. the Phillies. It will be the last home stand in Dunedin. The Blue Jays will play out of Buffalo starting June 1st against Miami. This will either be for the balance of the season or until the Canadian border reopens and/or the Blue Jays get permission to play out of Toronto again. Last season, the Blue Jays and Phillies split the 6 games and the Phillies outscored the Blue Jays 31-26. On Friday, the Blue Jays will send lefty Steven Matz to the mound against Phillies righty Vince Velasquez.