|Lourdes Gurriel Jr. was 4-4 with 3 runs scored and 2RBI in a losing effort as the Blue Jays fell to the Orioles 7-5 in the regular season finale.|
Here we are, the final game of the 2020 regular season. After today, one team (Baltimore) will be going home for the fall/winter, and one team (Toronto) will be moving on to play in the best-of-three first round of the playoffs. Tanner Roark got the start in what has not been a great season for him. He came into today's start with a 2-3 record and a dreadful 7.01ERA in 10 starts. Only Chase Anderson had a worse ERA (7.67) and he missed the first couple of weeks recovering from an oblique strain. Cavan Biggio was back in the field at the hot corner after getting the day off yesterday. Vlad got the half day off as DH with Travis Shaw at 1B. Randal Grichuk was back in the field after DH'ing yesterday. Danny Jansen was behind the plate after the day off yesterday. Teoscar Hernandez got the full day off with Jonathan Davis in RF. Could the Blue Jays make it five wins in a row? Here is today's game recap.
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the bottom of the 2nd on a sac fly by Jonathan Davis that scored Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
- The Orioles tied the game in the top of the 3rd as Renato Nunez doubled home Austin Hays
- The Blue Jays retook the lead in the bottom half of the inning as Vladimir Guerrero Jr. smashed a solo bomb to dead center
- Two batters later, Gurriel Jr. whacked a 2-run blast to left; also scoring Randal Grichuk
- The Orioles got a pair back in the top of the 4th as Cedric Mullins tripled home Hanser Alberto and Pat Valaika
- A batter later, Mullins scored on a sac fly hit by Hays
- Keegan Akin pitching line: 3IP 5H 4R (all earned) 1BB 4K 51 pitches (35 for strikes)
- Tanner Roark pitching line: 4IP 5H 4R (2 earned) 2BB 2K 91 pitches (54 for strikes)
- The Orioles took the lead in the top of the 5th as Rio Ruiz doubled home Ryan Mountcastle
- A batter later, Nunez scored on a ground out by Alberto
- A batter later, Valaika singled home Ruiz
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom of the 8th on a throwing error by Alberto that scored Gurriel Jr.
- Cesar Valdez pitched a perfect 9th for his 3rd save of the season
- Final score: Orioles 7 Blue Jays 5
- Tanner Roark's final start (and possibly final appearance) of the season did not go according to plan. He gave up 4 runs (just 2 earned thanks to an error by Grichuk on a catch) on 5 hits while walking 2 and striking out 2. He actually lowered his ERA to 6.80. He can thank the defense for helping him escape a 1st inning bases loaded jam, or his ERA might have ticked up a bit. He blew a 4-1 lead through 3 innings. Disappointing season to be sure
- Cavan Biggio drew 2 more walks to finish 2nd in the MLB with 41 walks on the season
- Lourdes Gurriel Jr. had a great end to the season going 4-4 with 3 runs scored and 2RBI
- Up next, the Blue Jays head to Tampa Bay where they will begin a best of three series against the TB Rays. Hyun-jin Ryu (assuming he's feeling ok) should get the start against Rays lefty Blake Snell.