|Alejandro Kirk was 4-4 with 3 runs scored and an RBI and finished a triple short of the cycle as the Blue Jays routed the Yankees 11-6|
After a dreadful road trip that saw the Blue Jays lose 6 of seven, including a three game sweep to the team they face four times this week starting tonight, the NY Yankees. The Blue Jays limped (literally and figuratively) home after the road trip. Closer Ken Giles will undergo Tommy John surgery tomorrow and miss the rest of this season and the entire season next year, meaning the Blue Jays will have to decide if Jordan Romano or Anthony Bass will fill that role or if they will go after a free agent or make a trade. Meanwhile, Matt Shoemaker comes off the IL tonight and should throw about 60 pitches. Nate Pearson threw 2 stimulated innings as he tries to come back from his own elbow injury. Rowdy Tellez is taking BP and jogging slowly. Jordan Romano will throw a bullpen tomorrow. Alejandro Kirk got the start behind the plate. Jonathan Davis got the start in LF with Lourdes Gurriel Jr. getting the half day off as DH. Could the Blue Jays make it two wins in a row? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Yankees took the lead in the top of the 2nd as Gio Urshela singled home Gleyber Torres
- Home plate umpire Chad Fairchild was forced to leave the game prior to the top of the 2nd after taking a foul ball off his mask.
- The Blue Jays tied the game in the bottom of the 3rd as Bo Bichette singled home Alejandro Kirk
- A batter later, Teoscar Hernandez singled scoring Cavan Biggio
- Two batters later, Randal Grichuk singled home Bichette
- A batter later, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. doubled home Hernandez and Grichuk
- Michael Kirk pitching line: 2.2IP 5H 5R (all earned) 1BB 6K 65 pitches (44 for strikes)
- Matt Shoemaker pitching line: 3IP 3H 1R (earned) 2BB 1K 54 pitches (31 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 4th as Bichette singled home Kirk
- A batter singled home Jonathan Davis
- A batter later, Biggio scored on a double play ground ball hit by Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
- Two batters later, Guerrero Jr. doubled home Bichette
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 6th as Grichuk whacked a solo blast to right-center
- The Yankees got one back in the top of the 7th on a groundout by Urshela that scored Torres
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom half of the inning on a solo moon shot hit by Kirk to right
- The Yankees go three back in the 9th as Mike Tauchman doubled scoring Urshela, Brett Gardner and Tyler Wade
- Final score: Blue Jays 11 Yankees 6
- Matt Shoemaker did exactly what the Blue Jays wanted him to do in his first start in a month. He threw 3 innings (54 pitches) allowing one run on three hits while walking 2 and striking out 1. The bigger question will be how he feels tomorrow. Assuming he's ok, he'll probably pitch in game 2 of the postseason (assuming the Blue Jays don't blow the final week of the season)
- Offensively, Vlad and Alejandro Kirk had huge days at the plate. Vlad was 3-3 with a triple and 2 doubles. He also drew a walk. Kirk was 4-4 and finished a triple shy of the cycle
- TJ Zeuch was excellent in 3.1 innings, allowing just a hit and walk in his final inning when he was tiring.
- It was another rough inning for Wilmer Font, who struggled to find the strike zone and gave up a bases clearing double. It has to be concerning to see his velocity down. Hopefully he won't need season-ending surgery too
- Bo Bichette and Teoscar Hernandez combined to go 4-10 with 3 runs scored and 4 RBI
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to make it three in a row against Yankees ace Gerritt Cole. The Blue Jays will counter with Tanner Roark