|Danny Jansen was 4-4 with 3 runs scored and 3RBI and a hit by pitch in a 14-1 rout over the Yankees|
The Blue Jays had a chance to make the playoffs for the first time since 2016 with a win tonight and having the Mariners lose to the Astros. There's potential 2 or 3 fresh arms could be in the bullpen with Nate Pearson, Jordan Romano and Julian Merryweather all potentially going to be healthy. Pearson threw 2 stimulated innings in a liv BP Monday (and he felt fine the next day). Romano tossed a bullpen yesterday. Merryweather is the iffiest having just hit the IL with elbow tendinitis Monday. Robbie Ray got the start on the mound. Bo Bichette got the half day off as the DH with Joe Panik at SS today. Cavan biggio was back at his natural position at 2B. Travis Shaw was back in the lineup and at the hot corner after being a late scratch last night with back spasms. Danny Jansen was back behind the plate after sitting out the last 2 games. Could the Blue Jays punch their ticket into the post-season? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the bottom of the 1st as Vladimir Guerrero Jr. singled home Cavan Biggio
- On the next batter, Teoscar Hernandez scored when Gary Sanchez made a bad throw trying to pick him off 3rd base
- The Yankees got one back in the top of the 2nd on a passed ball by Danny Jansen that scored Luke Volt
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 3rd as Guerrero Jr, doubled scoring Randal Grichuk
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 4th as Danny Jansen smacked a solo blast to left
- Four batters later, Grichuk singled scoring Biggio
- Robbie Ray pitching line: 4IP 3H 1R (unearned) 4BB 5K 90 pitches (49 for strikes)
- Masahiro Tanaka pitching line: 4IP 8H 5R (3 earned) 3BB 5K 91 pitches (55 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 6th as Hernandez scored on a fielder's choice hit by Guerrero Jr.
- A batter later, Lourdes Gurriel Jr. singled home Grichuk
- A batter later, Travis Shaw singled home Guerrero Jr.
- Two batters later, Jansen was hit by a pitch forcing in Gurriel Jr
- A batter later, Biggio doubled scoring Shaw and Joe Panik
- A batter later, Bo Bichette doubled home Biggio and Jansen
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 8th as Jansen smacked a solo shot to left-center
- Final score: Blue Jays 14 Yankees 1
- Robbie Ray battled command issues all game long, walking 4 batters. He did keep the damage to an unearned run on a passed ball by Danny Jansen. Five of the batters he faced went to full counts. My guess is he'll be in the bullpen in the postseason
- Ross Stripling, on the other hand, was outstanding, allowing just one hit in 4 innings while striking out 4. He could be the 3rd starter or follow Matt Shoemaker.
- Danny Jansen responded from Alejandro Kirk's solid 2 games with his own 4-4 effort with 3 runs scored and 3RBI
- Every Blue Jay batter scored at least one run, and all but Joe Panik had at least one hit (though Panik drew a walk) and all but Panik and Teoscar Hernandez had at least 1 RBI
- You could see the Blue Jays had their eye on their first playoff berth since 2016. Alas, they will have to wait at least one more day after Seattle beat Houston
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to punch their ticket into the postseason. Ace Hyun-jin Ryu gets the start in this important game. The Yankees will counter with lefty Jordan Montgomery