Freddy Galvis was 2-3 with a run scored and a pair of RBI as the Blue Jays shut out the Tigers 6-0
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the bottom of the 4th as Teoscar Hernandez singled scoring Randal Grichuk
- Four batters later, Freddy Galvis hit a bases clearing single scoring Justin Smoak, Heranandez and Billy McKinney
- Matt Boyd pitching line: 5IP 5H 4R (3 earned) 1BB 10K 85 pitches (54 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a pair of runs in the bottom of the 7th off a Smoak single that scored Galvis and Luke Maile
- Matt Shoemaker pitching line: 7IP 2H 0R 2BB 7K 87 pitches (59 for strikes)
- Final score: Blue Jays 6 Tigers 0
- This game appeared to be going the same way as opening day with nine straight Blue Jays recording outs after the lead-off triple by Brandon Drury. However, the bats came alive in the bottom of the 4th, striking for 3 runs on 4 hits and a walk in the inning
- Matt Shoemaker had a strong first start in a Blue Jays uniform. The veteran righty threw seven shutout innings, scattering a pair of hits and surrendering two walks. Shoemaker came into the game having thrown well against the Tigers, so the dominance is no surprise
- Teoscar Hernandez misplayed one ball today, but was otherwise solid.
- A great bounce-back game after a lackluster performance opening day.
- Up next, the opening 4 game series continues with Aaron Sanchez pitching for the first time this season. Health has been a major concern for Sanchez. Hopefully the injuries are behind him.The Tigers will counter with Springer Turnbull, who is reported to have nasty stuff and a good hard fastball. None of the Blue Jays have ever faced the Tigers prospect.