Two games left and the Blue Jays simply have to win both games and hope Seattle and Boston lose at least one of their remaining 2 games. The Blue Jays and Mariners sit a game back of the Red Sox for the 2nd WC spot. Alek Manoah got the start today with Danny Jansen behind the plate. Lourdes Gurriel Jr. was back in the lineup as DH. Vlad was back in the field after DH'ing yesterday. Could the Blue Jays make it two straight wins? Here is today's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the bottom of the 1st as Vladimir Guerrero Jr. annihilated a 2-run bomb to the second deck in left; also scoring George Springer
- Two batters later, Teoscar Hernandez whacked a solo blast to left-center
- The Orioles got one back in the top of the 2nd on a Mike McKenna groundoit that scored Trey Mancini
- The Blue Jays added 3 runs in the bottom half of the inning as Springer bashed a 3-run blast to left and into the Blue Jays bullpen; also scoring Santiago Espinal and Danny Jansen
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 3rd as Espinal doubled scoring Lourdes Gurriel
- Jphn Means pitching line: 3IP 7H 6R (all earmed) 0BB 2K 57 (39 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 5th as Bo Bichette smacked a solo blast to left and into the Blue Jays bullpen
- Four batters later, Danny Jansen smashed a 2-run opposite-field shot to right; also scoring Espinal
- Alek Manoah pitching line: 7IP 1H 1R (earned) 1BB 10K.89 pitches (60 for strikes)
- Final score: Blue Jays 10 Orioles 1
- Alek Manoah was excellent in his final start of the season. He gave up a run on 1 hit while walking 1 and striking out 10. Manoah retired the final 12 batters he faced after hitting Austin Hays leading off the 4th inning
- Ross Stripling pitched the final 2 innings, giving up a hit. It's huge that he was able to finish the game because now the bullpen is rested for the HUGE season finale tomorrow.
- The bats were sizzling today. Vlad started things off with his 47th smash of the season (he gave the team a scare in the 6th when he stumbled rounding 1st base, but was fine and finished the game). George Spring's bat might be heating up at the right time. He was 4-5, including a 3-run blast and scored twice. Santiago Espinal was 3-4, scored twice and drove in a pair. Danny Jansen whacked a 2-run shot and scored twice.
- Every Blue Jays starter, except Marcus Semien, Lourdes Gurriel Jr. and Randal Grichuk had at least 1 hit
- The Blue Jays were 3-8 with runners in scoring position.
- Things are shaping up for a wuild final day of the regular season. The Yankees were blown out earlier and if Boston loses tonight or tomorrow (they were tied at one after 8 innings at the time of this posting) and the Mariners won their final 2 games, we are looking at a 4-way tie for the 2 WC spots. A three-way tie would happen if the Yankees win tomorrow. The Blue Jays and Mariners would be eliminated, regardless of their results tomorrow, if the Red Sox were to win both of their final 2 games. Likewise, the Blue Jays would be eliminated, regardless of how the Red Sox do tomorrow, if they lose the regular season finale tomorrow vs. the Orioles. No one should have to wait around too much to find out if we are looking at a 3- or 4-way tie or if the Red Sox will clinch the 2nd WC spot as every game is set for 3PM EST. Buckle in your seatbelts and grab that popcorn, there's a ton of relevant baseball to watch
- Up next, the regular season finale. Hyun-Jin Ryu starts against Orioles lefty Bruce Zimmerman