It all comes down to this, three games against division rivals Baltimore Orioles. Before fans start popping the champagne cork on extending the season to a game 163 and/or making the playoffs, the Orioles juat beat Boston in 2/3 games. They have won 5 of the season series meetings vs. the Blue Jays. Their players are playing for jobs next season and I'm sure would love to eliminate a hated division rival. Further, they are a game back of the 2nd WC spot heading into the final weekend and will need help from the Angels and Nationals to force that game #163. The Mariners are hot, having won 4 straight. The Red Sox, like the Blue Jays, have a potent lineup capable of putting up big #'s. Get your popcorn ready, it's set to be a wild final weekend of the season. Steven Matz got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. Vlad got the half day off as DH with Cavan Biggio at 1B. Could the Blue Jays start the final weekend with a win? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the bottom of the 3rd as Danny Jansen whacked a 2-run blast to left-center; also scoring Santiago Espinal
- Thomas Eshelman pitching line: 2.2IP 3H 2R (both earned) 0BB 0K 32 pitches (21 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 6th as Corey Dickerson smashed a solo bomb to right
- Two batters later, Jansen doubled home Santiago
- A batter later, Cavan Biggio singled scoring Jansen
- A batter after that, Geotge Springer singled scoring Biggio
- The Orioles got one back in the top of the 8th as Kevin Gutierrez smashed a solo blast to left
- Two batters ;ater, Pat Valaika whacked a 2-run blaast to left; also scoring Tyler Nevin
- Five batters later, Trey Mancini singled home Cedric Mullins
- Jordan Romano got the final five outs for his 23rd save of the season
- Final score: Blue Jays 6 Orioles 4
- Steven Matz had a strong final start of the season, allowing 2 runs on 6 hits while walking 1 and striking out 6. Matz has been one of the pleassant surprises on the season, finishing with 14 wins (1 more than teammate and Cy Young favorite Robbie Ray). The Blue Jays should try to re-sign him if they can
- The bullpen was a little shaky, but they made the score stand up. Adam Cimber game up 2 runs on 2 hits and Jordan Romano gave up a hit and walked a batter. Romano also struck out three batters
- Unlikely heroes Danny Jansen (drove in 3 runs and scored twice), Corey Dickerson (solo HR) and Cavan Biggio (3-4 with a run scored and a run batted in) did the damage offensively.
- Every Blue Jays starter except Vlad and Teo had at least one hit.
- In terms of the WC race, the Yankees lost, the Red Sox won and the Mariners were losing in the 5th inning.. For the moment, the Blue Jays remained a game back of the Red Sox for the 2nd WC spot and were 0.5 games back of the Mariners
- Up next, the Blue Jays go for 2 straight wins. Alek Manoah starts against Orioles lefty John Means