Matt Duffy was 2-4 with an RBI and a run scored as the Rays beat the Blue Jays 7-1
- The Rays took the lead in the top of the 1st as Tommy Pham singled home Matt Duffy
- The Rays doubled the lead in the top of the 2nd as Mallex Smith singled home Kevin Kiermaier
- A batter later, Matt Duffy doubled, scoring Smith and Nick Ciuffo
- Marcus Stroman pitching line: 1.2IP 6H 4R (all earned) 0BB 1K 49 pitches (31 for strikes)
- Ryne Stanek pitching line: 1IP 0H 0R 0BB 1K 16 pitches (11 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom of the 2nd as Teoscar Hernandez singled scoring Aledmys Diaz
- The Rays added a run in the top of the 3rd as Kiermaier singled home Joey Wendle
- The Rays added a run in the top of the 5th as Pham scored on a wild pitch by Tim Mayza
- The Rays added a run in the top of the 7th as Ji-Man Choi hit a solo HR to right-center
- Final score: Rays 7 Blue Jays 1
- Only one pitcher was expected to throw just a couple of innings and it was not Marcus Stroman. Coming off a blister to one of the fingers on his pitching hand, Stroman was roughed up and did not make it out of the 2nd inning. He allowed 4 runs on 6 hits and a hit batter in 1.2 innings today. You have to wonder if the blister was affecting Stroman. He threw only five cutters and one change-up in the 49 pitches he threw. If Stroman can't utilize all his pitches, he shouldn't be out there.
- pretty poor showing by the offense tonight. One run, 4 hits and 4 walks. Teoscar Hernandez, Kevin Pillar, Aledmys Diaz and Billy McKinney each had a hit tonight
- Mark Leiter Jr., son of ex-Expos pitcher Mark Leiter and nephew of ex-Blue Jays pitcher Al Leiter made his debut for the Blue Jays, pitching a scoreless 9th. Leiter Jr. was claimed off waivers from Philadelphia September 1.
- It will be interesting to see how many wins the Blue Jays get this month. Gibbons commented today that he feels he has a professional group of players who will play hard. However, let's face it, the team has nothing to play for but pride and jobs next year.
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to even the series as a pair of unknown pitchers take the mound. It might be a bullpen day for both teams.