Randal Grichuk was 2-4 at the plate with 3 RBI and 2 runs scored as the Blue Jays beat the Tigers
8-4 to snap a 5 game losing streak and avoid being swept 2 straight series
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the top pf the 6th as Justin Smoak hit a 2 run HR that also scored Yangervis Solarte
- The Tigers got one back in the bottom of the inning on a leadoff HR by Leonys Martin
- Aaron Sanchez pitching line: 6IP 2H 1R (earned) 3BB 7K 100 pitches (60 for strikes)
- Michael Fulmer pitching line: 6IP 5H 4R (all earned) 3BB 3K 90 pitches (56 for strikes)
- Randal Grichuk doubled home Kevin Pillar in the top of the 7th
- The next batter Aledmys Diaz singled to score Russell Martin
- Two batters later Solarte singled to score Grichuk
- The next batter Smoak hit a ground rule double scoring Diaz
- The Blue Jays extended the lead in the top of the 8th as Grichuk hit an opposite field shot that also scored Devon Travis
- The Tigers got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Jeimer Candelario singled to score Martin
- The next batter, Nike Goodrum singled plating Miguel Cabrera
- Candelario scored on a wild pitch strike out.
- Final score: Blue Jays 8 Tigers 4
- It was a solid start by Aaron Sanchez today as he went 6 innings. He had nice control of his pitches and got the call on close pitches. Sanchez's only blemishes was a solo HR leading off the 5th. Hopefully this is a start Sanchez can build on.
- The Blue Jays had a big inning in the 7th scoring 4 runs on 5 hits and a walk. It's been a long time since the Blue Jays batted around in an inning. The players need a cacophony of runs today after struggling to score in recent weeks. Things won't be easy as the Bronx Bombers are in town starting Tuesday.
- It was nice to see Justin Smoak, Aledmys Diaz and Randal Grichuk break out of their slumps with multi-hit games
- Up next, after an off-day tomorrow, the Blue Jays begin a quick 2 game series vs. the Yankees, who send their big lefty CC Sabathia to the mound against Jays righty Marco Estrada. The Blue Jays will be looking for their first multiple game winning streak since April 29-May 1.